My husband Richard has been making this oil for as long as I have known him. I really don’t remember the first time, but what I do remember when I tasted it I fell in love. The flavour it added to our mashed potatoes was unbelievable. The creaminess resulting from adding this luxurious oil to your potatoes will ignite your tastebuds!
To begin, all you need is a good Extra Virgin Olive Oil, one large bulb of Fresh Garlic and several fresh sprigs of Rosemary. These three are a perfect marriage in an oil that will last you up to 6 months, depending on how often you have mashed potatoes. During the winter months we probably use this fairly frequently; about once a week. Less so during the summer.
But honestly, once you heat up the oil and place the garlic and rosemary as directed, your house will smell amazing! As good as any 5-star restaurant I promise.
This is what the finished product looks like. It will steep like this in your pan for up to 6 hours. Again, the aroma is fantastic. Once it has cooled, strain your garlic and rosemary from the oil and discard it. Now feel free to pour your oil into any glass jar and it is good in your fridge for up to 6 months.
Rosemary Garlic Oil
- 3 cups olive oil extra virgin
- 12 cloves garlic whole
- 15 sprigs rosemary fresh
- For our recipe, we have been using the same glass jar to store our oil in for years. It holds approximately 3 cups of olive oil.
- Using one large bulb of garlic, break apart 12 cloves and clean shell from the clove. Leave the garlic whole.
- Wash your 15 sprigs of rosemary and dry them completely.
- Using a frying pan, and on medium heat, pour your extra virgin olive oil in the pan and let it get hot over a period of 3-5 minutes. Once the oil is hot, gently drop your cloves of garlic in the oil. Let the garlic simmer in the hot oil for about 20 minutes. Until you see the edges of the garlic get light golden brown. If it gets darker then a light golden brown, your oil may taste burnt.
- After 20 minutes, turn off the oil. Move to a cool side of stove. Place all 15 sprigs of rosemary evenly in oil. Now let your garlic and rosemary steep in the oil for 4-6 hours.
- Once your oil has cooled, pour into your storage vessel. Store in the fridge for up 6 months.
Once your oil has been placed in the fridge it will harden to the soft olive colour you see here. Don’t be alarmed; it should look this way. When you take it from the fridge, it will melt fairly quickly at room temperature. I wouldn’t recommend leaving it out though. It will stay fresher longer sitting cold in the fridge. When you have mashed potatoes, and depending on how many potatoes you have boiled and mashed, it really comes down to taste. If you want a subtle flavour, use a small amount of oil and vice versa for large amount of potatoes, use larger portion of the oil. To elevate those mashed potatoes even further, I would suggest adding a dollop of sour cream for an even richer taste. Finishing them off with salt and pepper, you are ready to eat.